Cosmetologists call dandruff an appearance problem that is found in the largest number of people in the world. Of course, there's a lot of attention being paid to how to treat it. We will tell you about the most effective methods and means in this article.
What is dandruff
Dandruff is a particle that consists of dead skin cells, a variety of external impurities, as well as a fatty detached layer of skin. It is extremely important that dandruff is not a separate pathology of the skin or hair. It is a symptom, a manifestation of another disease or disorder. An important conclusion follows from this - in order to get rid of dandruff forever, you should determine the cause of its formation and cure it. Without this, any cosmetic products will only have a temporary effect.
Why dandruff occurs
- Violation of the sebaceous glands of the skin. This is a fairly common reason, but the main problem is that the pathology of the production of sebum also does not develop from scratch. Almost always this result is caused by failures of our internal organs, mainly related to the endocrine system: the thyroid and pancreas, liver, etc. This means that dandruff can accompany diseases such as diabetes mellitus, thyroiditis, pancreatitis and other pathologies of the internal secretion glands. In addition, fluctuations in the hormonal background often lead to disruption of the sebaceous glands. This can be both physiological changes (puberty, pregnancy or menopause), and serious diseases associated with malfunctioning hormones. These pathologies are diagnosed and treated by endocrinologists.
- Diseases of the skin. A lot of dermatological diseases also have dandruff on the list of characteristic symptoms. Here you can list dermatitis of autoimmune and allergic origin, psoriatic disorders, various types of eczema, etc. You will also need medical attention to treat these pathologies.
- Fungus skin lesions. This is another area of responsibility for the dermatologist. He or she must correctly diagnose the pathogen and prescribe the appropriate treatment. Although it is usually easy to get rid of a superficial fungal infection nowadays, the choice of local anti-fungicidal agents is quite large and they are all quite effective.
- Inappropriate nutrition. Very often, systematic dietary disorders result in dandruff. For example, science has long known that light carbohydrates (sweets, various pastries, etc.) stimulate the production of fat secretion by the skin glands. Approximately the same effect on the skin has an abundance of fat and fried dishes.
On the other hand, there are products that, on the contrary, have an effect reducing the production of sebum, and thus reduce the intensity of dandruff formation. These products include.
Nuts, such as peanuts, which contain a lot of zinc.
Fish and other marine products rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Cakes and cheese products, coarse flour products are excellent sources of B vitamins.
Low-fat meat, which gives our body the proteins and amino acids it needs for healthy hair and skin.
It is also extremely important to observe the daily water consumption rate - for an adult, it is about 2 liters per day. Our body directs the incoming water primarily to internal organs, and the skin is supplied with moisture in the last place. This means that even a slight lack of fluid will manifest itself primarily on the skin, causing it to dry out and peel off. And such disorders immediately lead to the formation of dry dandruff.
Vitamin and trace element deficiency can also cause dandruff. The most dangerous time for vitamin deficiency is late winter and early spring
Incorrect or too frequent cosmetic procedures
Damage to the hair and scalp, followed by dandruff, can cause.
- Low-quality dyes.
Frequent curls with chemical components.
Frequent use of a hot hairdryer.
Other manipulations with high temperatures (e.g., ironing).
Types of dandruff
This disorder occurs in people with any skin type, but the consistency of the dandruff particles can be dry or oily.
Dry dandruff has the appearance of small scales of a white or gray color. It can cover the entire area of the head or be placed in separate areas, and its main component is dead epidermal cells. Dry dandruff weakly adheres to skin or hair rods, and therefore abundantly crumbles down. To the formation of this type of dandruff lead.
- Different types of vitamin deficiency.
Deficiency of some trace elements.
Aggressive cosmetic procedures with over-drying of the skin.
Deficiency of moisture supply to the skin.
Greasy dandruff is characterized by an increased size of scales. In addition, they have a yellowish color and a greasy consistency due to the increased content of sebum. Such dandruff is quite difficult to remove with a comb - its particles stick well to the scalp and hair rods. The appearance of this type of dandruff is often accompanied by abundant acne rashes on the skin. The cause of this lesion may be.
- Physiological and pathological changes in hormone balance.
Diseases of internal secretion glands.
Diseases of the digestive system.
Diet disorders with increased consumption of fats and light carbohydrates.
How to get rid of dandruff
Even after the cause of dandruff is found and eliminated, the condition of your hair will not come back to normal immediately. But you can take a number of steps to get rid of this unaesthetic disorder as quickly as possible.
First of all, you should modify your lifestyle. About the products that contribute to the improvement of skin and hair and, conversely, make it worse, we have described above. In addition to changing the diet, you need to take care of the correct alternation of sleep and wakefulness. The work of many systems of our body is subject to daily rhythms, which means that their normalization will affect health in general and the condition of the skin in particular. Finally, it is mandatory to quit alcoholic beverages, as well as smoking. Few things cause such intense and multifaceted harm to our skin as alcohol and tobacco.